Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Street called Hope


I look into the eyes of many as I walk down this street called suffering and I see so many who live here, who dwell here who were born and destined to live here. All kinds of people with differeent disabilities, ailments, ilnesses and as I walk down I feel cold shivers down my neck. A scary sight it is...My fellow man is subjected to abject poverty...Waking up to a morning of hunger and suffering and going to lay at night with no assurance of awaking the next morning. I walk down this street and feel the pain felt by those who dwell here, those who have no legs, no hands, those who have no eyes, those who have lost their sense of speech, all watch me pass by and hope that I spare some change...some change that can bring silence to the rumbling of their empty stomachs. Even in my humility, not posessing much... I find something to give. As I walk on, a little child runs up to me, gives me a hug and says 'Thank you 'and for the very first time in a long time, an unexplainable warmth of satisfaction burns in me and the yearn to do more develops in me. I reach deeper into my pocket and bring out more alms for the needy...and as I walk down this street, I tend to the needs of the poor and as pouring water on very dry soil, loosens it up and enriches it making it very fine and loosening up tight air spaces...The faces of these people begin to lighten up and frowns are turned upside down...It seemed like light was brought back into their lives. My heart leapt for joy for the satisfaction I got was beyond the words in my head. People who had already signed out of life's account and awaited the day the earth would open up and swallow them, people who thought the word 'hope' meant nothing and resolved there was nothing to live for, people who lived on this street of suffering moved on to the next street.....A Street called 'Hope'

7 comments:

  1. you write really well. This is a very good article and it just shows us how much we need to appreciate everything in this life cos there are a whole lot of people that definitely have it worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one is subject to abject poverty.
    Poverty s not a state of being
    It is a state of the mind
    'They' are not subject to abject poverty,
    Rather..they subject themselves to it.
    They accept it, embody it and choose to live it.
    Very beautiful, touching, but I disagree.
    I really do love this.-especially the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amaka Y. Before I continue, have you ever met anyone who ''subjects himself to poverty?''
    Some are born in to it and unfortunately do not have any hope of good living. Some are handicapped and have no one to help them survive. For the fact that a man goes on the streets to beg, that already signifies that he doesn't want to accept poverty. The kids who hawk things on the streets have resolved not to embody poverty hence,the go out and try to fight their poverty. So, if you can show me a man who accepts poverty, I'll show you a liar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. L.O.L Sly Writer.
    Darling
    I have in fact met people who subject themselves to it.
    Those same ones about begging are not in poverty.! -
    Rather - are poor.!
    There is a difference between "being poor"
    and being in a state of "poverty"
    Poverty is just a a state of a mind that has lost all hope of living, resigned themselves to whatever.
    Those people going about on the streets - yes.! they are the ones fighting poverty - they are poor - yes... but fighting poverty nonetheless.!
    i agree there.!!
    You understand yh.?
    have you never heard of those who were hawkers / house helps and today own some of largest assets in Nigeria.???
    I have..!!!!
    As for the handicaped ones. - there are loadsss of instituitions for the handicapped in Nigeria.
    Patchelli school for the blind for example and so on.
    They really have no excuse as far as I am concerned.
    You ever heard of the man who has no hands, yet drives with his feet.?
    I really have not said beggars are in poverty or have I.?
    You have and that is what I am merely disputing.

    ReplyDelete