Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Nigerian Woman

My Nigerian Woman, Who is she? The one that wakes up early in morning to prepare the famous 'akara' for the household. The one that gives warmth when times are nothing but cold. Her father-figure makes men cower in fear and her unprecedented actions are spoken of both far and near. She gives me hope and makes me smile and I cannot live without her, not even for a while. Everyday I bask in the elegance of such a woman, and take heed to her words of wisdom to be the best I can. This woman is not shaken or phased by obstacles coming her way, but inspired and willing to tackle them as long as she has her say. Sometimes I wonder how she came to be, how such a woman can dwell in such an unruly environment and this drove me, empowered me, and strenghtened my intent yet people do not appreciate this Nigerian woman. I watch in heartfelt agony as she is disrespected by her fellow man and I think to myself..'she deserves more than this', But who will listen? when everyone behaves as if nothing is amiss. Sometimes she is beaten and tossed aside! Lost, is all her dignity and pride and when she has no hope, and has no one to talk to, I am there to see her through. 'Stand up!!!', I say unto her, you are a Nigerian woman, a woman of unspeakeable intelligence. You're being bold and strong is of the essence. She then looks unto me and begins to cry and then, I hold her in my arms just like she held me once, and promise her that she would get by. You are very important to me and you mean a lot but most importantly remember who you are and always do what you can just because you are my Nigerian woman.
Written by Tobi Adewuyi

No comments:

Post a Comment